Tuesday, March 11, 2008

SOLITUDE

Just got back late last night from a fantastic weekend of skiing! We (Max, Jeff & I - we left poor Zoe home) went to Solitude mountain in Utah and it was really great. Max went to ski school and was going down steep blue trails and riding chairlifts by himself by the end of the weekend. And at Solitude some of the chairlifts don't have bars that come down - it freaked me out a little - having Max on such a lift without an adult - but I was brave. The only time I almost vomited though was when Max and Jeff went up a really long lift with no bar and I was sitting behind them watching Jeff on his Blackberry and Max squirming a bit. My heart was in my throat. But on a better note - we had fantastic weather - it snowed the first day and was beautiful and sunny the next two days. And I skiied like a champ! I went down double black diamond trails, through trees, down steep stuff with bumps and I am here to tell about it. It really was a nice mountain - not too crowded, lots of terrain, good ski school - I would highly reccommend it! And flying to Salt Lake City is soooo easy. Really, the trip is almost the same as going to Vermont and the skiing is a million times better. On the plane I worked on knitting a cardigan for Zoe out of the Gedifra Mayra yarn. It has a cute lace bottom that I stole from one of the Sublime books and then it is just a plain drop sleeve cardigan, in off white. It will be perfect for the spring. I also started reading Eat, Pray Love - a book I've been avoiding because everyone has said I wouldn't like it, given my lack of any sort of spirituality and my love of long, engrossing novels - but I actually really like it so far - Elizabeth Gilbert is a great writer - very funny and wonderfully descriptive. And I even got to watch a movie while I was knitting on the way home. I watched Gone Baby Gone. Disturbing, but I liked it a lot. So, all in all the weekend was a sucess. But it is always nice to come home. Also - check out the post above - I put some pictures on of Zoe in her new dress that I made out of Katia Samba. http://www.theyarnco.com/brand_display/421

3 comments:

Janice said...

Jordana,

You are a much braver skiier than I could ever be - and I live in Colorado! You and the family should come out this way for skiing - just as good as, if not better than, Utah.

Janice

The Yarn Co. said...

Colorado skiing is awesome! I lived in Boulder for a short while after college and loved skiing at Winter Park and Vail - I also love Copper Mountain. Utah is just easier to get to for a short trip - but we'll be skiing in Colorado again I'm sure. Janice, where do you ski?
Jordana

Janice said...

We ski mostly at Copper Mtn, since we have a season pass for there. But we'll pretty much go anyplace -we've been to A-Basin, Breckinridge, Steamboat and Telluride. Next week for spring break, we are going to Winter Park. I've never been there, so I'm looking forward to it. Don't think I'll do the Mary Jane part of the resort (that's the newer bumps n jumps area, because I have a bad left ACL...did you ever get around to skiing there?)

By the way, Jordana, I love your and Julie's books. I've pretty much worn out my copy of the Older Kids knits, since I have two school age daughters and have made about eight different things from it. Of course, I have to make two of everything!