Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Little Knitters

On Friday afternoons I go into Max's first grade class and teach the kids how to knit. I've been doing this since around November. I started out teaching all the kids in small groups. Everyone had to try it once or twice. As we continued, some kids really loved it and others no so much. So, the knitting became an optional activity during their "Friday Fun Time". Any child that has caught on and can more or less knit by themselves is always welcome to sit in the circle and knit for however long or short a time they want. Some sit the whole hour, others knit a row or a few rows and then move on to blocks or lego. Those who still need to be watched carefully can get my undivided attention for 10-15 minutes - and generally after that short time with one-on-one attention - they are set to join the group. The kids who knit with me weekly are amazing! They are perseverent, excited and proud of what they are doing. It is really fun. Some kids knit very methodically, rarely making a mistake. Others knit and talk and change positions like a jumping bean - and while their work may show it - it still looks wonderful. This past week was very exciting because three kids finished their projects. My son, Max, finished his scarf. Another little boy finished his scarf and a little girl finished a purse. Another little girl should be done with hers next week. The yarn that the kids are using was donated by TahkiStacyCharles - they have beautiful yarns. You can visit their website at www.tahkistacycharles.com And the great pictures were taken by Sinje who came with me to school to see the kids in action and is thinking about writing some sort of an article about the whole thing! She has a great blog www.knityoursocksoff.blogspot.com if you want to check it out. Finally - my sister says she just sent me pictures of her cakes - I will post them soon - wait to be amazed!!

1 comment:

Sinje Ollen said...

What a fun day that was! Thanks for letting me join you. It’s so nice to see the pictures up. The kids were so wonderful, and so focused. :-)