Thursday, November 12, 2009

Second Graders Master Knitting

I have just come from Max's class - and am happy to report that I have 26 new knitters! After our fourth week of knitting in school - the entire class has grasped this new skill. It is great, everyone is very excited and I feel very satisfied. It is different from teaching knitting last year in Max's first grade class...first, the difference in motor skills is huge. I was surprised at how much easier the 2nd graders picked it up than the first graders. Also, this year instead of just a handful of kids knitting- the entire class is doing it. That's a lot of mistakes to fix, rows to help turn and balls up in the air. Luckily I have a helper this year. Nicole who is a customer at the store and the babysitter of one of the boys in the class and an excellent knitter - comes in and helps out too. Some of the kids have already completed a handwarmer, others are working on scarves and a few are working on a bag. Take a look:

3 comments:

Darci said...

I started teaching my siblings how to knit and it's surprising to see the difference in the patience and grasping skills they have. All though they are driving me crazy with requests for needles sometimes (we had to share two pair until we found the rest) That is great that you have help.

Smellyann said...

That is awesome! You have inspired to try to teach my 8yo again. I tried a couple of years ago, but she wasn't ready then. Hopefully now that she's a 3rd grader!

Anonymous said...

Facebook is my life.
I also do not know about the outside world without Facebook. Once known Facebook then everything has changed. I had many friends over and of course my life has also changed. It looks like he has the outside world can do me by friendship, love. If you use Facebook, please see the wonder settled that it brings. Please log in to see the heart of me. I will be happy for it.

If you do not have a Facebook account, please register here!

This is my blog : Blog for you