Tuesday, May 20, 2008

RAVELRY ANYONE?

I am sure that I am light years behind those of you reading this blog but... I have recently discovered www.Ravelry.com. For those of you who do not know what it is: "Ravelry is a place for knitters, crocheters, designers, spinners, and dyers to keep track of their yarn, tools, and pattern information, and look to others for ideas and inspiration." It is very cool. You can keep track of all the yarns you have, all the projects you have made or are in the process of making and best of all you can see what tons of other people are making. The site divides projects into different categories so if you are looking for a cable pattern, you can click on cables and see a bunch of cable projects that people have made. Many tell you the source of the pattern and what yarn they used. Another great thing is if you really like a particular yarn and want to make something out of it, you can search that yarn and see what others have done - it definitely provides lots of knitting inspiration. At the moment, we are trying to get a bunch of our projects up onto the site. It seems like it will be a great place to showcase our designs. We apparently need to join flicka in order to get the photos on - so Julie has to deal with this - but hopefully we will get this done soon. When we were trying to figure out how to add our photos, we searched our names and it was awesome - all these photos of projects that people have done out of our books came up. It was really great to see so many of our projects actually being made by people we don't know. There are tons of them on the site. To get onto Ravelry you have to sign up and then wait about two weeks or so to get your "invitation" - it is not really an invitation - it is just that the site has grown so quickly - they are adding people onto it bit by bit so that it won't crash. I am not really so big on trolling the web for knitting inspiration and such - but I think this is a pretty unique site that most knitters will enjoy.

3 comments:

Smellyann said...

Well it's about darn time, ladies! I've been wondering where you were. And yes, I'm one who has several projects from your book in my projects list - I'm currently making my third Deena/oohs/ahhs stripey blanket! :D

The Yarn Co. said...

Great - we'll I'll know who to ask when I get confused about getting our stuff on! Isn't Dena's blanket fun to make - I've made a bunch myself...

Janice said...

Yep, count me in as a Raveler too. My id is Janbie. I've been on since January this year and already have 250+ posts (!).

I also have a bunch of your patterns on my projects and WIPs list, too. Right now, I'm making the good guest dress from the Older Kids book, along with another striped dress from the Spring 08 Interweave Knits.

Four dresses altogether, for my two girls - eek! Hope they'll be able to wear them this summer.